Friday, September 5, 2008

State of The Nation


I think I have been living inside my head for far too long. Theres noone in the entire world who has made themselves more comfortable inside their own self conscious as I have. I don't mean comfortable to where nothing gets to me. I mean comfortable like Im not leaving this spot. This kind of leaves me fearful of other people trying to get in. Maybe this is something we all do. I'm not sure if its something of human nature but its extremely depressing...hmmm.
On a better note I am starting to feel a little more in tune with other people. I actually don't find it as hard as I used to, to hold a conversation with someone and not feel like a first grader talking to their distant uncle. You know, what do they have in common? Maybe I have my job to blame for this miraculous happening. Its actually apart of my job to be personable and inquisitive about their lives. Working at a hotel has it's birthday cake moments!
I'm reading "The Bell Jar" right now by Sylvia Plath. Its apparently a "modern classic" according to Barnes and Noble. I have to agree with whatever that means. They compared it to "The Catcher in the Rye" and just reading it to Chapter three I can definitely understand that. I can relate to these characters because I feel like they both live inside their heads and watch the world from the eyes of desperation. I admire Plaths work in numerous ways. I mean she's just extremely talented because these words come out of her without a second thought. Its like when someone is just a natural at a piano. They dont even need theory. They can play by ear. Her work is incredible! I mean that. I wish she was still alive today but you know, it was those experiences and feelings that lead to suicide that sadly made her work so remarkable--so Im kind of saying it may have been neccessary... Everything happens for a reason right?
She is remarkable. I mean how many people in this world are that talented and the world gets to know about it. I mean even though she didnt want this book released in America, it still managed to get in our hands and we are better for it. By we I mean Americans. I highly reccommend this book, even though I myself have not finished it. I also highly reccommend reading her poetry if you feel anywhere like I feel. Living inside my head.
Lets just live our lives...gosh its only life afterall...Why are we all so afraid! Or maybe just me?

-Attia

1 comment:

Pastor Purdy said...

Catcher and Jar--two brilliant books. If you get time, check out Confederacy of Dunces and maybe Tobacco Road. Mmmm...books.

Followers