Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Nostalgic Dancing Queen

Photo by Eugene Richards, New York Times

Is it just me or does anyone else just want to go dancing?! I have a few new moves that need to be seen and I have been known to knock out the competition with my serious dance skills. This is all courtesy of my imagination. I am a horrific dancer and I probably should never set foot on any ones dance floor unless they want sore toes. Seriously, I really do enjoy dancing. I think it is the ultimate stress reliever, even if you don't really know how. I guarantee if you're alone you will appreciate the glorious feeling of grooving to your favorite upbeat song. Trust me, you will love that feeling. I usually pretend there's a disco ball on my ceiling when I listen to "Dancing Queen" by ABBA!


I've been doing some past blasting and have been thinking about those silly things I used to dream up when I was younger. The way I thought life worked was priceless because I now know that its nothing in comparison to what I had in mind. Here are some of the things that filled my universe:


1. I thought that when I was in a room, nothing outside of that room existed or moved. (Time stood still)

2. I thought that every dinner and trip to the medicine cabinet was a TV show. (reality TV didn't even exist back then..I think)

3. I thought my dance moves were the best dance moves. (I still think that)

4. The characters on Barney were like family who I would one day meet and love forever.

5. There's one day when we all die and we all float up to heaven. (Including the furniture)

6. I thought I'd only ever have one boyfriend in which I would marry and live happily ever after. (Seriously?)

7. There was no better place to be than in front of the TV (The Smurfs) and eating waffles.

8. Cigarettes were the worst things to ever do, worst than anything in the world.

9. You can tell your sister that she's not your sister and she wasn't.

10. My whole life would be simple.

I am pretty sure that I was just a teeny bit crazy but I know you all had even crazier stories and beliefs as children so hey what can I say... I want that same feeling I got when I would sit in front of the TV and watch cartoons for hours. That was incredible. Now I can't even bare 3 minutes of the stuff. What is that?? I guess I'm just nostalgic. Who can blame me?


So...I came across this really neat and interesting photographer named Eugene Richards. He traveled around the world to different mental institutions and photographed inhumane treatment and conditions that more than often go unnoticed. I must warn you that it's not pretty so if you are squeamish I advise you not to view. The photographs are stunning yet illuminates this harsh reality! See for yourself...


Newsweek

Shocking Therapy:

Much Love!

No comments:

Followers